Overdue Materials & Fines
The Hazen Memorial Library is fine free as of September 1, 2020. You will not gain fines for our overdue items except for museum passes and "Library of Things" items such as musical instruments, puzzles and games.
We are unable to waive fines on materials from other libraries.
Museum passes have a $15 fine for every day late and a replacement fee if lost.
We will notify you when your items are due or an attempt was made to automatically renew them.
Items that have not been returned for 28 days will be considered lost. You will be billed the full amount of the item and your account will be blocked.
If you return the item to our library, you will not be charged anything. If an item is truly lost, you may pay the replacement fee online through your account. Both of these actions will unblock your account.
- If we have your email address, you will automatically receive a courtesy email 2 days before the items are due.
- If the item is not returned within 2 weeks after the courtesy notice, you will receive another email to inform you the item is overdue.
- If an item has not been returned for 28 days, a bill for the replacement cost of the item will be mailed to the address of record on your library card.
- If materials are lost or damaged, please contact us about replacing them. In some cases we are able to accept a replacement copy, in others you will be charged the replacement cost of the lost or damaged item.
- Once an item is billed and removed from our system, it cannot be returned nor charges reimbursed.
Regretfully, failure to return materials or pay for their replacement will result in a suspension of your library borrowing privileges until the matter is resolved.
Claims Returned Policy
The term "Claims Returned" refers to a situation in which a patron believes they have returned an item that is still checked out on their record. Only the library that owns the item may allow a "Claims Returned" on its own material. We will gladly search the library shelves for items you believe have been returned. If not found, you have the option of "claiming the item returned". A maximum of 3 unresolved Claimed Returns are allowed on your record. Any further claimed returned items will be billed the full replacement amount.